How to Assist the Emotionally Distressed Student

Counseling & Psychological Services provides a variety of services to students that includes crisis intervention, personal counseling and psychotherapy, group counseling, marital and couples counseling, psychoeducational workshops and resource and referral assistance to off campus agencies.

We provide consultation and training workshops to faculty and staff on how to deal with an acting out or disruptive student as well as other emotional and psychological issues affecting students. If you are unsure of how to handle a specific student, talk with one of the clinical counselors at CPS. Suggestions will be made for approaches you can take with a student. When needed, the counselor can assist with the referral process.

Who are the services for? The services of the Counseling & Psychological Services are open to regularly enrolled (matriculated) undergraduate and graduate students.

Are services confidential? YES they are. In keeping with accepted professional practice, counseling is confidential. No information is released to the administration, to faculty members, to parents or to outside agencies (such as graduate schools, employers, etc.) without the student's explicit written authorization in advance.

What is the cost? Psychological counseling is provided as a benefit under the student health fee for all currently enrolled matriculated students.

Where are we? Counseling & Psychological Services is located in the Student Services Building, Room 208.

How to contact us - Please call CPS at (415) 338-2208 for consultation. Our office hours are 8am to 7pm Monday through Thursday, and 8am to 5pm on Friday.

How to make a referral? If you feel that professional counseling might be beneficial, refer the student to the CPS. Be direct in letting the student know that you believe a clinical counselor would be of help in this situation. Inform the student that the service is both confidential and free of charge. A mutual decision is best. Do not force the issue if the student takes a defensive posture - simply restate your concerns and recommendations. If the student is receptive, you can suggest that he/she call for an appointment at (415) 338-2208. You may even offer to contact a clinical counselor and provide background information. If the situation seems urgent, you may call the Counseling & Psychological Services receptionist and request to speak with the clinical counselor on call.


Note: The document linked on this page may have accessibilty issues. 

Faculty and Staff Guide PDF